Are you looking for a good, simple, and clean food for your dog?
There are a lot of limited ingredient diets available to buy on the market but, not all of them are the best for your dog’s heath. Some contain meat by-products and meat meals that can even be harmful for your dog.
It takes a lot of research to find the best food that meet all of your furry friend’s nutritional requirements.
In this blog post, we decided to review the Taste of the Wild, Prey Trout Limited Ingredient Formula dog food to help you figure out whether or not it is the right choice for your fluffy friend.
Let’s begin, shall we?
Brief Company History: Taste of Wild
The food sold under the Taste of the Wild brand is manufactured by Diamond Pet Foods, Inc., which is a company owned by Schell and Kampeter, Inc. They are a U.S.-based pet food manufacturer and have their plants located in Lathrop, California, Gaston, South Carolina, and Meta, Missouri.
The Schell and Kampeter family manage the family-owned and privately-held enterprise to this date.
Taste of the Wild made its debut in the market in 2007 and is a relatively new pet food brand. The brand strives to meet the market demand for premium grain-free and “natural” dog foods and doesn’t use filler ingredients such as rice, soy, and corn.
The Diamond Pet Foods company is headquartered in Meta, Missouri and was founded in 1970 by brothers-in-law Gary Schell and Richard Kampeter who has at that time bought Milling Meta Co. which was a company that produced dog food as well as livestock feed.
The distribution of the company was limited to within 100 miles of Meta, Missouri and 95 percent of the company’s production was livestock feed.
Soon, Diamond expanded its manufacturing units to include plants in San Joaquin County California in 1999 and Gaston, South Carolina in 2002.
You can read more about this dog food company here.
Taste of the Wild, Prey Trout Limited Ingredient Formula Review
The Taste of the Wild, Prey Trout Limited Ingredient Formula is one of the best dog foods available to buy on the market. This dog food promotes simple and clean eating in dogs and is made of ingredients that are easier for dogs to digest.
Trout and sunflower oil contained in this dog food have omega fatty acids that help maintain your dog’s coat and skin.
This kibble contains species-specific probiotics which help support your dog’s digestion, the antioxidants maintain your dog’s immune system and ensures his overall well-being, and the DHA helps support your dog’s brain functions and vision.
The micronutrients in this dog food are carefully selected to ensure that each and every ingredient in this kibble ensures your dog’s health.
The dog food contains the following:
- Trout — Spring-fed Trout is the number one ingredient in this dog food. The kibble doesn’t contain any by-products or rendered meats which is an excellent thing to have as they can upset your dog’s tummy and generally aren’t rich in nutrients
- Lentils — The next ingredient in this dog food are lentils which are a superfood and come packed with fiber, protein, essential nutrients, and complex carbohydrates. They are easily digestible by dogs
- Tomato Pomace — This is an excellent source of antioxidants and soluble fiber and is yummy to taste
- Sunflower oil — This ingredient is rich in omega fatty acids and healthy fat which are essential for your dog’s vital organs and ensure proper functioning of your dog’s system
- DHA – This dog food is rich in this omega-3 fatty acid which is provided by salmon oil. DHA helps in supporting your dog’s vision and brain which makes it essential for all life stages—especially puppies, pregnant, and nursing mothers
- Species-Specific Probiotics – This kibble contains Taste of the Wild’s proprietary K9 Strain Probiotics which are specifically developed for dogs. These are added right after the cooking process to ensure that they remain viable. Each pound of this dog food contains 80 million live, active cultures that support a healthy immune and digestive system
Let’s take a look at the macro nutritional breakdown, shall we?
This dog food contains the following:
- 27% protein which is near-average
- 15% fat which is average
- 58% carbohydrates which is above-average
All in all, this dog food is an excellent choice for dogs that are active and love their playtime. The food provides the dog with the energy to do all his favorite activities throughout the day.
The Taste of the Wild, Prey Trout Limited Ingredient Formula is an excellent dog food which is simple, clean, and highly digestible. This kibble is a good pick for dogs that have a sensitive stomach and need energy throughout the day.
At the end of the day, there are a lot of excellent pet food companies our there to choose from. This is why you should check out our Top 10 Best Dog Food article where we try to “narrow” down some of your options for you.
But you need to remember….
It doesn’t matter how “great” the dog food is, if your dog doesn’t like it, he “ain’t” going to eat it. This is why we always recommend that you first purchase a small back of the different types that we discuss so that you can make sure your dog (whose opinion matters the most) is happy and satisfied.
Do you still have questions? If so, leave them in the comments, and we will get back to you as soon as we can.