Are you looking for good, simple, clean dog food?
There are a lot of limited-ingredient diets available to buy on the market, but not all of them are the best for your dog’s health. Some contain meat by-products and meals that can even harm your dog. It takes a lot of research to find the best food that meets your furry friend’s nutritional requirements.
In this blog post, we decided to review the Taste of the Wild, Prey Trout Limited Ingredient Formula dog food to help you figure out whether or not it is the right choice for your fluffy friend. Let’s begin, shall we?
Brief Company History: Taste of Wild
The food sold under the Taste of the Wild brand is manufactured by Diamond Pet Foods, Inc., a company owned by Schell and Kampeter, Inc. They are a U.S.-based pet food manufacturer and have their plants located in Lathrop, California, Gaston, South Carolina, and Meta, Missouri. The Schell and Kampeter families manage the family-owned and privately-held enterprise to this date.
Taste of the Wild debuted in 2007 and is a relatively new pet food brand. The brand strives to meet the demand for premium grain-free and “natural” dog foods and doesn’t use filler ingredients such as rice, soy, and corn. The Diamond Pet Foods company is headquartered in Meta, Missouri, and was founded in 1970 by brothers-in-law Gary Schell and Richard Kampeter, who had bought Milling Meta Co. This company produced dog food and lied.
The company’s distribution was within 100 miles of Meta, Missouri, and 95 percent of the company’s production was livestock feed. Soon, Diamond expanded its manufacturing units to include plants in San Joaquin County, California, in 1999 and Gaston, South Carolina, in 2002.
You can read more about this dog food company here.
Taste of the Wild, Prey Trout Limited Ingredient Formula Review
The Taste of the Wild, Prey Trout Limited Ingredient Formula, is one of the best dog foods on the market. This dog food promotes simple and clean eating in dogs and has more accessible ingredients for dogs to digest. Trout and sunflower oil in this dog food has omega fatty acids that help maintain your dog’s coat and skin.
This kibble contains species-specific probiotics that help support your dog’s digestion; the antioxidants maintain your dog’s immune system and ensure his overall well-being. The DHA helps keep your dog’s brain functions and vision. The micronutrients in this dog food are carefully selected to ensure that every ingredient in this kibble provides your dog’s health.
The dog food contains the following:
- Trout — Spring-fed Trout is the number one ingredient in this dog food. The kibble doesn’t contain any by-products or rendered meats, which is excellent as they can upset your dog’s tummy and generally aren’t rich in nutrients.
- Lentils — The next ingredient in this dog food is lentils, a superfood packed with fiber, protein, essential nutrients, and complex carbohydrates. They are easily digestible by dogs.
- Tomato Pomace is an excellent source of antioxidants and soluble fiber and is yummy to taste.
- Sunflower oil — This ingredient is rich in omega fatty acids and healthy fat, which are essential for your dog’s vital organs and ensure the proper functioning of your dog’s system
- DHA – This dog food is rich in omega-3 fatty acids from salmon oil. DHA helps support your dog’s vision and brain, which makes it essential for all life stages—especially puppies, pregnant, and nursing mothers
- Species-Specific Probiotics – This kibble contains Taste of the Wild’s proprietary K9 Strain Probiotics specifically developed for dogs. These are added right after the cooking process to ensure that they remain viable. Each pound of this dog food contains 80 million live, active cultures that support a healthy immune and digestive system.
Let’s take a look at the macro nutritional breakdown, shall we?
This dog food contains the following:
- 27% protein, which is near-average
- 15% fat, which is the average
- 58% carbohydrates, which is above average
All in all, this dog food is an excellent choice for active dogs who love their playtime. The food gives the dog the energy to do all his favorite daily activities.
The Taste of the Wild, Prey Trout Limited Ingredient Formula is an excellent dog food that is simple, clean, and highly digestible. This kibble is a good pick for dogs with sensitive stomachs and need energy throughout the day.
There are a lot of excellent pet food companies out there to choose from. This is why you should check out our Top 10 Best Dog Food article, where we try to “narrow” down some of your options.
But you need to remember….
It doesn’t matter how “great” the dog food is; if your dog doesn’t like it, he “ain’t” going to eat it. This is why we always recommend that you first purchase a small back of the different types we discuss to ensure your dog (whose opinion matters the most) is happy and satisfied.
Do you still have questions? If so, leave them in the comments, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.