Flea and ticks are an annoying part of the summer months.
Dogs love to play around in the sun come spring and summer. While it is amazing to watch your dog play in the grass and enjoy the beautiful weather, disease-ridden fleas and ticks can be attacking your dog during this time outside.
These pests bring along a lot of diseases and are extremely hard to get rid of.
Fleas and ticks are irritating, and, sometimes painful for our furry friends as well. They are easy to contract but really hard to eradicate. These small, wingless parasites survive by drinking the host’s blood and make your pooch miserable.
In this blog post, I will share the best flea and tick treatments available to buy on the market along with some additional information that you need to know about the problem.
So, without further ado, let’s jump right it!
Different Types of Flea and Tick Treatments on the Market
Finding an effective and easy to use treatments should be the goal when looking for the best flea and tick treatments for dogs. All the medicines that are available on the market work by attacking the fleas’ nervous system fatally.
While all the medicines do the exact same thing, there are several different options available on the market. These include:
- Spot-ons treatments come in a small bottle. They have a concentrated liquid which you apply to the back of your dog’s neck. Within 24-48 hours, the medication works by dissipating into the natural oils on your dog’s skin. This kills the fleas and prevents new generations from developing for 30-45 days
- Oral chews and tablets basically contain insecticides that transfer to your dog’s bloodstream within the hour. When a flea bites your furry friend, it gets exposed to the insecticide and dies. These tablets work faster than any other method but the effects last for only 24 hours.
These medicines treat an ongoing infestation, they aren’t a good preventative measure
- Collars also contain insecticides which either absorb into your dog’s fat layer and kill the fleas or repel the fleas.The effects of a collar last from anywhere from 6 weeks upto 12 weeks
- Shampoos work well when trying to kill adult fleas quickly. However, the effects only last for about 24 house—like oral tablets. This is used only when necessary or if the animal has a severe infestation because of its potency
- Sprays work by lingering on your dog’s skin and have a function similar to spot-on treatments. However, they are comparatively more diluted and you need to apply the medicine on your dog’s body at least once a week
There are a lot of different options to choose from when looking into buying the best flea and tick treatments for your dog. Tablets, spot-ons, and collars are the most preferred treatments as they are easy to use, quick, and painless.
However, shampoos and sprays, on the other hand, aren’t so much.
They are quite messy and you need to keep applying them after a certain period of time, which may not be feasible for some users.
Ultimately, it is up to you to choose the course of treatment you feel is the best for your furry friend.
Harmful Side Effects of Flea and Tick Medicines: What to Avoid
For a treatment to be effective, it is important to use a pesticide to kill the bugs. The Environmental Protection Agency should approve the pesticides used in the flea medicine.
However, this doesn’t mean that the pesticides can’t cause serious harm to your doggy friend’s health and yours if you mishandle them. So, it is a good idea to steer clear of topical treatments. Always wash your hands after applying it.
Another thing that most pet owners don’t realize is that the weight as well as the dosage matter. Different doses of medicine are required by different-sized dogs so, make sure that you read the label and give your dog the right dose for his weight range.
Now, let’s look at some ingredients that you should steer clear of according to credible sources such as the National Center for Biotechnology Information and the National Pesticide Information Center.
The Humane Society as well as the EPA both inform that the side effects of overexposure to Tetrachlorvinphos include dizziness, nausea, and confusion. In some rare cases, the drug can even be fatal.
According to the Agency for Toxic Substances & Disease Registration, humans that are exposed to these ingredients can have side effects including burning, stinging, itching, numbness, or tingling.
If you own a cat, you should avoid using any medicine that contains pyrethrin. It is perfectly safe for dogs as well as humans but, it is known to cause seizures in kitties.
Home Remedy: Flea and Tick Treatments Without Harmful Side Effects
If you wish to stay away from all the nasty side effects that conventional treatment methods have, you should try home remedies.
It is true that they don’t work as fast as the conventional treatment does but, they’re completely safe. I’ve listed a recipe in this section of the blog for those who are interested.
Citrus easily repels fleas.
You can squeeze an orange or lemon to extract the juice and apply it on your dog’s fur to keep the bugs off.
Keep in mind that the oil extracts in oranges and lemons (or any other citrus fruit for that matter) aren’t always safe for the dog. The oil that you get from the rind of citrus fruit contains limonene which is effective at repelling insects and is an excellent household cleaner.
However, it is irritating to the skin and can cause liver damage in both cats and dogs when ingested.
Top 7 Picks: The Best Flea and Tick Treatments for Dogs
In this section of the blog, I would like to go through the best flea and tick treatment options available on the market.
We will review each of these items in detail later in the blog post. For now, take a look at the quick overview of the products featured.
Here’s the deal:
|Best Flea and Tick Treatment||Key Features||Our Rating||Prices|
|Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar||
||4.5 Stars||Check Prices|
|Vet’s Best Flea & Tick Pet & Home Spray||
||4.4 Stars||Check Prices|
|Bio Spot Active Care Flea & Tick Spot On||
||4.4 Stars||Check Prices|
|Novartis Capstar Flea Tablets for Dogs and Cats||
||4.3 Stars||Check Prices|
|Frontline Plus for Dogs Flea and Tick Treatment||
||4.3 Stars||Check Prices|
|Jasper’s Store Flea and Tick Prevention for Dogs||
||4.2 Stars||Check Prices|
|Vienpoli Adjustable Flea and Tick Collar||
||4.1 Stars||Check Prices|
Now, let’s take a look at each of these products individually and help you figure out which one of them is the best choice for your furry friend.
The Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar is one of the best methods to treat fleas and prevent them from coming back. The collar is a good investment as it is effective in protecting your furry friend from fleas for eight months!
The collar repes and protects your doggy friend from ticks, fleas, lice and flea larvae and is a convenient and easy to use method. The collar is a good choice for puppies over 7 weeks of age.
Following are some key points of this collar:
- Offers eight months of non-stop protection from all kinds of parasites and can be used for puppies over 7 weeks of age
- Non-greasy, no mess, and odorless option for your dog’s protection as it continuously releases the pesticide at low concentrations
- The collar is easy to put on and can even be worn with a leash so it makes more convenient
Let’s take a look at the pros and the cons, shall we?
All in all, the Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar is one of the best available on the market. This mess-free solution works effectively for months and protects your dog from every parasite.
The Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Pet and Home spray is one of the best flea and tick treatment for dogs available on the market. The spray features a plant-based formula that kills ticks, flea eggs, fleas, and repels mosquitoes.
The spray has a unique blend of clove extract and peppermint oil that helps fight these parasites without causing serious side effects or health concerns for humans, children, and dogs alike.
Following are some highlights:
- Kills ticks, fleas, and flea eggs when it comes in contact with them
- It contains certified natural essential oils and other plant-based materials which have no side effects
- The method is completely safe to use for dogs and puppies over 12 weeks in age
- The treatment does not leave stains and won’t ruin your sheets or furniture
- Made in the US
Here are the pros and cons:
In summary, the Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Pet and Home spray is an effective treatment options and works very well.
The Bio Spot Active Care Flea and Tick spot on is one of the best choices when you’re looking for an effective tick and flea treatment for your furry friend. The treatment effectively works for flea eggs, fleas, ticks, flea larvae, etc.
This treatment comes with a Smart Shield applicator which designed to make applying the treatment easier and more convenient. The fast-drying formula works well and spreads through the oils of your dog’s skin.
Here are some key features of this treatment:
- The treatment effectively kills larvae, fleas, flea eggs, tick nymphs, ticks, etc. and repels mosquitoes
- It features a special applicator which makes administering a dose much easier and convenient
- The fast-drying formula ensures that the product doesn’t stain anything
Take a look at the pros and cons:
All in all, the Bio Spot Active Care Flea and Tick spot on is a safe and effective flea treatment for your furry friend.
Novartis Capstar Flea Tablets for dogs are a good choice if you wish to treat an ongoing infestation. These capsules start killing the parasites within four hour of consumption and are effective for 24 hours.
A single does of the medicine id enough to kill all adult fleas. You should only give your dog one dose a day and always consult your vet before giving your dog any sort of medication.
Let’s look at some of the key features of this treatment option:
- The formula works very fast and kills fleas within four hours of administration
- One box comes with 6 tablets and you should give your dog only one tablet per day
- The pills effectively kill all adult fleas and work well on larvae and eggs, too
- Can be used on cats as well
Following are the pros and cons:
All in all, the Novartis Capstar Flea Tablets for dogs are a god option if you’re looking to get fleas and ticks off of your dog instantly. However, the effects are temporary.
The Frontline Plus Dogs flea and tick Treatment is one of the best treatments available to buy. This option provides long-lasting treatment and effectively kills adult fleas, larvae, and flea eggs.
The treatment works for 30 days and is waterproof. It even kills ticks that may cause Lyme disease! You can use the treatment on dogs or puppies older than 8 weeks.
Here are some key features of this treatment option:
- Fast-acting and a long-lasting treatment for prevention and control
- Can be used on puppies over 8 weeks of age
- Works non-spot for 30 days
- Kills ticks, larvae, eggs, etc. including those that cause Lyme disease
Following are the pros and cons:
In summary, the Frontline Plus Dogs flea and tick Treatment is a safe option for dogs. The long-lasting treatment instantly kills all the ticks and protects your dog from them.
The Flea and Tick Prevention Collar from Jasper’s Store is one of the best flea and tick treatments for dogs available on the market. It effectively kills 99% of insects within the first 24 hours of use and is made from natural ingredients that are environment-friendly.
The materials used to make this collar are completely safe for your furry friend. The collar is made of environment-friendly PVC and is resistant to water so your dog can go for a swim in the pond!
Following are some highlights of this product:
- This solution is a potent one and effectively kills 99% fleas and ticks within the first 24 hours of use
- The collar uses all-natural ingredients and made from environment-friendly PVC
- The collar is resistant to water and can withstand swimming, washing, bathing, etc.
- The collar comes in a metal box container and is sealed in a bag for freshness
- The collar also comes with a 100% money back guarantee in case it doesn’t work
Following are the pros and cons of this collar:
All in all, the Flea and Tick Prevention Collar from Jasper’s Store is one of the best choices as it is environment-friendly, easy to use, all-natural, and an effective solution.
Moving on to the next one.
The Vienpoli Adjustable Flea and Tick collar is one of the best flea and tick treatments for dogs available on the market. This collar fits all dogs and works effectively in preventing tick and flea infestations. It starts working within the 24 hours of use.
The strong repellant is animal and human safe which is effective for eight months. The collar has a pleasant smell and is sturdy as well as waterproof. The active ingredients are released on a regular basis to keep your dog protected.
Here are some key points:
- One size fits all so you don’t need to worry about the size, replacement, etc. and can get the same collar for all of your dogs
- The collar is made for rough use, is quite sturdy, and can take a lot of abuse
- The collar is effective in keeping all the pests away from your furry friend for eight whole months
- Made from potent all-natural ingredients that are safe for humans as well as dogs and have no side effects
- The collar comes with with two tick removers to safely take the ticks off
Now, let’s take a look at the pros and cons:
All in all, the Vienpoli Adjustable Flea and Tick collar is a good all-natural solution which works effectively and keeps the pests away from your dog for a long time.
Final Words: Best Flea and Tick Treatments for Dogs
Ticks, fleas, and other parasites can be painful for your furry friend as they feed on your dog’s blood. They may be small in size but they bring with them several different diseases.
So, it is better to keep them off of your dog for good.
In this blog post, I shared some of the best flea and tick treatments for dogs. These treatment options are safe, effective, and easy to use.
Did you find the right treatment for your dog? Let us know in the comments…